Thursday, March 27, 2014

Definitely Allergic!

Several months ago, Boston had a crazy reaction after a round of amoxicillin. However, with the exception of our actual doctor- who can be quite tricky to get into for sick visits, doctors for some reason don't want to believe me when I tell them he is allergic to it. For our latest round of ear infections, we ended up going to a doctor we had not seen before. When she recommended a round of amoxicillin to clear things up, I (for what seemed like the millionth time) told her he couldn't take it, and described his previous reaction. Partially because she was way down the line in the list of doctors who didn't believe me/wouldn't listen to me, I somehow let her talk me into giving him amoxicillin. After a few doses, the hive-type rash started to show up. Only this time, the reaction didn't stop with just a nasty rash, his ears and lips also started to swell- even after I had started giving him Benadryl. So, I rushed him back to the doctor, just to have them tell me to give him benadryl (which again, I already was) and that sure enough he was allergic to amoxicillin. Ya think, thanks for wasting my copay!! As you might guess, we will never go to that doctor again!
These were taken before the rash/reaction got bad. Once we reached the bad point, I was too busy rushing him to the doctor, to worry about pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment